Sesame is one of the best oil crops in the world and also among the oldest. This crop is widely grown in China, India and many other tropical countries. It is known for its rich and nutty flavour and has gained a lot of popularity as a kitchen ingredient or essential in many countries. According to Ayurveda, sesame is described as a crop of immense medicinal value. It is commonly known as ‘til’ in Hindi and referred by the same name in Ayurveda as well. The following are some of the most important Ayurveda medicinal properties of sesame.
1. According to Ayurveda, sesame is heavy to digest and increases the moistness of the tissues. It has high potency and also tastes sweet. Both the seeds and the oil are used for many medicinal purposes.
2. Sesame normalizes vata and vitiates pitta and kapha. This crop has properties of yogavahi which is a substance which has a quality of penetrates the deepest tissues. When the seeds are processed with some of the other herbs then it normalizes the 3 doshas. This is the reason why it can be used in diseases which are caused due to vitiation of vata.
3. Sesame can also be used in diseases caused due to vitiation of tridoshas.
4. The oil that is obtained by pressing sesame oil can be used in dry skin conditions. This oil increases the moistness of skin and makes it smooth and soft. This oil is also very well known as a healing agent for wounds. If the oil is regularly applied on the scalp then it can help to improve hair growth. This oil not only prevents hair fall but also prevents dandruff hair splitting.
5. Another important medicinal benefit of the seeds is that it is used to massage patients who suffer from paralysis, joint pain and body pain as it helps to soothe the muscles and ease the pain.
6. Sesame acts as a brain tonic and also helps to increase appetite. Chewing the seeds of sesame can help to reduce toothache. Sesame can be used to treat indigestion and irritable bowel syndrome.
7. These oil seeds can help to treat conditions like diabetes and associated frequent urination.
8. The seeds prove useful in treating uterine conditions such as secondary amenorrhea and dysmenorrhea. These seeds act as a galactagogue and help to increase the milk secretion in mothers who are lactating.
9. The seeds also act as the aphrodisiac and also prove useful in erectile dysfunction and conditions like premature ejaculation.
So if you wish to utilize the many health benefits of sesame seeds, make sure you consume them in some form or the other on a regular basis.