Sesame seeds are often considered the healthiest seeds in the world and rightfully so! Not only are these seeds packed full of nutrients but are also tasty and crunchy to eat. Sesame seeds are also one of the most versatile seeds in the world due to the fact that they come in many varieties and can be consumed in several ways. One of the most popular and nutritious variety of sesame seeds is black sesame seeds. Black sesame seeds find uses in cooking all over the world and are considered healthier than the white ones. These seeds are mostly used in the eastern parts of the world and are used as a spice in many Asian dishes. Even the oil extracted from these seeds is considered very useful. The following is a list of the most brilliant health benefits of black sesame seeds
• Black sesame seeds are packed with a lot of nutrients and minerals including calcium, copper, manganese, magnesium, zinc, iron and phosphorus. They are also loaded with B Vitamins and even on being small in size; they are an excellent source of fiber.
• Black sesame seeds also consist of two unique substances which are sesamin and sesamolin. These substances are known to lower the cholesterol levels in humans and also maintain the right blood pressure levels. Where on one hand, sesamin protects the liver from any kind of liver damage, sesamolin too has many health promoting properties.
• Just a quarter cup of sesame offers about 75 % of the daily requirement of copper and 35% of the daily requirement of calcium. They also provide about 35% of the daily requirement of magnesium.
• Black sesame seeds are known for the fact that they are a good source of phytosterols. It is a fact that if these seeds are consumed in the right quantities, they can help to lower down the cholesterol levels and can also improve the overall immune function. Infact these seeds contain the highest amount of phytosterols as compared to many other foods like sunflower seeds and pistachio nuts.
• Another unique benefit of black sesame seeds is that they can have a protective effect against many kinds of cancers like colon cancer.
• Black sesame seeds are a brilliant source of calcium. It is often said that they can prove to be an alternative to milk because of the amount of calcium they contain. Many studies have proved that older men and women who take black sesame seeds as a part of their regular diet have lower risk of osteoporosis.