Sesame seeds are the seeds which are used to add a nutty texture and delicate taste to many dishes, especially in Asian cuisines. These seeds are available in many variants and colours and one of the varieties is brown sesame seeds. Brown sesame seeds are available throughout the year and are highly valued. Sesame seeds are an excellent source of manganese, zinc, calcium, phosphorus, iron, selenium and Vitamin B1. Besides this, they also contain two main ingredients like sesamin and sesamolin.
Brown sesame seeds have a slightly sweeter flavour than the other varieties of sesame seeds and also have a certain aroma which is further advanced when they are toasted. This variety of sesame seeds is commonly added to cookies, breads, stir fries and others. These are added grounded into butter for tahini and hummus as well as Middle Eastern treat called halvah. Whenever one is buying brown sesame seeds, it is important to note the amount of calcium that they contain since these seeds are mainly known for the calcium content.
Sesame seeds including the brown variety are an alkaline food. They consist of a lot of dietary fiber and this is one of their strengths. This dietary fiber helps us keep our digestive system smooth and problem free. Sesamin and sesamolin which are lignans present in these seeds can help to lower blood pressure and cholesterol and this is another advantage offered. Lignans are basically fat soluble antioxidants which prevent free radical formation in the body. It is true that black sesame seeds have a higher number of antioxidants than the brown ones but brown sesame seeds too offer several health benefits and flush out toxins from the body.
Using brown sesame seeds
- Toast over the stovetop-the first thing you need to do is to put the sesame seeds in a frying pan. Now heat the sesame seeds over medium-low heat and keep stirring occasionally. Do this for about two to three minutes until they start popping out occasionally.
- If you want to experience a more nuttier flavour, then try longer and thorough toasting
- You can also try baking the brown sesame seeds. For this, you need to preheat the oven and then spread the seeds onto an ungreased baking sheet. Now bake them till they are slightly dark brown in color. This will take about 8 to 15 minutes.
- Toasting the seeds thoroughly is another way to make them useful for further purposes. For thorough toasting, you can first wash the seeds in a bowl of water for a few minutes. This will help discard the dust.
- Now transfer the rinsed seeds to a dry skillet or a frying pan over high heat. Keep watching the seeds as they tend to burn quickly if the heat goes a little high. Now reduce the heat to medium and continue to stir occasionally for the next 7 to 8 minutes. When toasted, they will begin to glisten.