Corn germ is one of the derivatives of the process of corn starch refining and is a highly valued by product. One of the reasons why corn germ is so important is because it can be used to obtain germ oil or corn germ oil which serves many purposes. Corn germ produces corn oil, a highly edible oil which is used for cooking purpose. It is composed of polyunsaturated fatty acids or PUFAs but is low on the content of saturated fat, which is why it is a healthy oil to cook in.
As mentioned earlier, corn oil is extracted from the germ component of corn and this germ is rich in oil and nutrients. The oil which directed comes out of the germ needs to be refined before it can be used for cooking and other purposes. Also known as maize oil, this oil has many health benefits and nutritional facts, some of which have been given below.
- Corn oil has been found to lower the LDL blood cholesterol which is the bad cholesterol and this is one of its main health benefits. This means that this oil is superb for heart health and recommended for heart patients.
- Corn oil also consists of essential and important fatty acids like linolenic acid or omega 6 which is known to boost our immunity and also for some of the essential immune system functions. Thus corn germ oil is an immunostimulant and this too is an important health benefit that it offers.
- The linolenic acid present in corn germ oil is also needed for many bodily and organ functions such as for the proper functioning of the heart, kidneys, digestive system, liver and the reproductive system as well.
- Just like olive oil, corn germ oil has the ability to reduce the blood pressure after consumption, especially in the case of hypertensive patients.
- Corn oil contains Vitamin E which acts as an antioxidant and is required for the body. This too is one of the major health benefits of corn germ oil. It is thus great for the skin and hair.
- Corn oil can be used for massaging the skin since it acts as a nice emollient. It can also be used as base oil for making salves, creams, lip balms and night oils etc.
100 grams of corn germ oil consists of 12.9 gm of saturated fat, 54.6 gm of polyunsaturated fats and 27.5 gm of monounsaturated fats. It contains Vitamin E, Vitamin K and Choline as well. It contains a very small amount of Tran’s fats as well. Indian origin corn germ and hence germ oil are considered to be high on quality and companies like HL Agro produce bulk germ oil each year. They are known for their high-tech machinery and superior quality corn by-products. You too can contact the company to place your order for any corn starch by-products today!