Sesame seeds are one of the most popular seeds in the world. The main reason for their popularity is the fact that they are loaded with health-promoting nutrients and elements. But besides the nutritional value, these seeds are also packed with flavor, crunchiness and a certain smokiness that helps them find use in many cuisines. The world produces about 3 million tons of sesame seeds every year on an average.
Sesame seeds are incredibly resilient and able to grow in places where many other crops cannot. These wonder seeds are a common ingredient in dishes across the globe such as bread meals, soups, crackers, and meat cuisines. About 60 to 65 countries produce these seeds out of which Asian and African countries are the key sesame seeds producers. The following is a detailed description of the top 5 countries thriving as the leading sesame seeds producers in the world.
- Myanmar– Myanmar is the leading sesame seeds producer in the world and produces 18.3% of the total sesame seeds produced on an annual basis. As far as the exact numbers are concerned, Myanmar produces 890000 metric tons of these seeds every year.
- India– On the number 2 spot comes India which is also one of the leading exporters of sesame seeds. The country’s tropical climate and large scaled crop area make it possible for it to produce 626000 metric tons of sesame seeds every year. This amount is about 13.1% of the total produce of these seeds on an annual basis.
- China – Close behind India is China in this list of the top 5 sesame seed producers in the world. The country produces 12.8% of the total sesame seed amount and this amounts to 623492 metric tons.
- Sudan– On the 4th spot of this list is Sudan which too is among the top sesame seeds producers and exporters in the world. The country produces 562000 metric tons of sesame in the world which is about 11.5% of the world’s production.
- Tanzania– The 5th largest producer of sesame seeds in the world is Tanzania. This country produces close to 8.6% of the total sesame seeds produced by the world and this amount to about 420000 metric tons.
The top five sesame seeds producers produce about 70%of the total amount. Some of the other countries which too produce considerable amounts of sesame include Uganda, Nigeria, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Mexico and Thailand. The global sesame exports are estimated to be about 5 to 6 lakh tons wherein India, China and Mexico are the leading sesame seeds producers & suppliers.
Sesame seeds are exported in many forms and some of them include roasted, natural, hulled and in its oil form. There are many good and reputed sesame seed manufacturing and sesame seed exporting companies in India and one of them is HL Agro. This company produces close to 22000 metric tons every year!